Kinder Morgan (KMI): Option volume 7,291 percent above average. Calls and puts traded actively after the stock leapt on a big acquisition. KMI rose 4.83 percent to $28.19.
Usec (USU): Option volume 2,309 percent above average. An investor rolled a short position in the January 2 calls to the January 3.50 contracts, giving shares more room to appreciate. A long position in the November 2.50s calls was also rolled to the November 3s. USU rose 7.35 percent to $2.19.
TE Connectivity (TEL): Option volume 1,937 percent above average. More than 7,000 October 35 calls were sold against existing open interest. TEL fell 0.91 percent to $33.94.
Brigham Exploration (BEXP): Option volume 1,897 percent above average. The November 37 calls and November 38 calls were bought and sold after the company was acquired by Statoil. BEXP rose 21 percent to $36.75.
Arkansas Best (ABFS): Option volume 1,831 percent above average. There was heavy trading in both the 25 calls and the 25 puts in October and November, apparently the roll of an existing straddle position. ABFS fell 4.82 percent to $17.39.
Rounding out the top 10 are:
- Philips Electronics (PHG): Option volume 1,782 percent above average.
- Harmonic (HLIT): Option volume 1,208 percent above average.
- MDX Holdings (MDC): Option volume 1,124 percent above average.
- Nuance Communications (NUAN): Option volume 953 percent above average.
- GeoEye (GEOY): Option volume 901 percent above average.
(Chart courtesy of tradeMONSTER)