Stocks like financials and technology, especially Apple, usually grab lots of attention. But other names have been flying under the radar with some outstanding gains.
Check out some of these returns in a few industries that you might have missed. (All returns exclusive of dividends since 2009.)
In the "sin to win" camp, we have tobacco--smoke 'em if you got 'em:
- Altria Group (MO): Up 118 percent
- Philip Morris (PM): Up 115 percent
- Lorillard (LO): Up 105 percent
And then there's alcohol--yes, bartender, I'll have another:
- Constellation Brands (STZ): Up 85 percent
- Anheuser Busch Inbev (BUD): Up 62 percent
- Diageo (DEO): Up 53 percent
Some getaway trades that have been running hard too:
- Priceline.com (PCLN): Up 589 percent
- Expedia (EXPE): Up 752 percent
Finally, can a man with a briefcase steal more than a man with a gun? It depends on the gun!
In last year alone, Smith & Wesson (SWHC) is up 168 percent and Sturm Ruger (RGR), which just declared special dividend, has doubled. Since 2009, in fact, RGR is up more than 800 percent!